For our review of 2016 we’ve decided to focus on films, books and albums. What better way to forget some, or nearly all of the events of 2016 than to immerse yourself in this elastic collection?
Top 10 best films of 2016
- Star Wars: Rogue One
- Captain Fantastic
- Doctor Strange
- American Honey
- The Secret Life of Pets
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
- Swiss Army Man
- A Bigger Splash
BONUS – Worst films of 2016
- Fantastic Beasts and where to … zzzzzz
- Any of the 207 films that Adam Sandler put out this year
Top 10 best books of 2016
- Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins
- Homo Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- Invasion by Luke Rhinehart
- The Minaturist by Jessie Burton
- S.P.Q.R. by Mary Beard
- How It Works: The Dog by Jason Hazeley & Joel Morris
- Happy by Derren Brown
- The Sellout by Paul Beatty
- Substance – Inside New Order by Peter Hook
BONUS – Worst books of 2016
- Anything from Asda’s biography shelf. No seventeen year old should be allowed to write a biography.
Top 9 best albums of 2016
Note: one of the team refused to contribute to this category, stating that ‘it’s all just noise these days’.
As such we’ve introduced Sepultura’s classic 1996 album ‘Roots’ as a dark horse.
- Planet Sizes by Steve Mason
- Strange Little Birds by Garbage
- Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown
- I Like It When You Sleep by The 1975
- Loose Meat by Loose Meat
- Coolaid by Snoop Dogg
- Chaleur Humaine by Christine and the Queens
- Love & Hate by Michael Kiwanuka
- Atomic by Mogwai
- Roots by Sepultura
BONUS – Worst album of 2016
- Anything by King Creosote
Note: to be honest King Creosote isn’t bad, at all. However the staff member in charge of posting this blog has had to listen to the same album on the office Sonos for weeks on end, and now holds a grudge.
What about you?
Got any picks or recommendations that you’d like to throw our way? Please let us know, and have a great new year when it comes.